Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bedazzle Me

As I scroll through the columns of merchandise on various websites, I can't help myself but sigh at each sequined and studded collar that permeates each piece. I want them all! But with my college budget, splurging $75 on a top (that is so recognizable, I'll probably only wear twice) just isn't in the cards.

I turn on the TV to VH1's popular series I Love The 70's to procrastinate further from starting that 10 page paper due in a few days. There, featured in black and white ads from '74, is the trademarked Bedazzler. Despite the sarcastic commentary from B level celebrities knocking it's worth, I immediately search for it online. "Maybe it'll be cheap on eBay," I say to myself (clearly I think it is the best invention since sliced bread). To my amazement, the Bedazzler is still sold to this day at craft stores like Michael's and Joann Fabrics for only $20. Finally, a way to DIY embellished blouses and denim.

Now, it is very easy to make something go from chic to tacky with embellishments. Unless you are looking for the guido-fab look, I suggest searching for design inspiration from magazine layouts and trendy online boutiques like Nastygal.com or ASOS.com. My copy? A studded collar on a pink chiffon tank.

I began by studding the outline of the collar.


Then I filled in the lines that I had established with the outline.

One problem with this is that it is not the strongest device and sometimes the studs stick to the inside of the setter. I got into the habit of just taking the sharp end of scissors and holding the stud in place as I pull the top off.

The finished piece!
The best thing about this is that you don't need to be an artist to do it. I'm talking to all those people who to this day can't color inside the lines. This requires very little skill and time and looks great at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment